Mould is not only unsightly, but it can cause serious damage to your home and possessions and even be dangerous to your health. This aggressive fungus can infect walls, window sills, carpets and furniture. It can also reduce the value of your property. It can also cause serious respiratory problems and make existing medical conditions worse. This is why it’s important to act as soon as you spot signs of damp and mould.
The main cause of mould growth is moisture. Whether it is due to water leaks, condensation or an inadequate level of ventilation in a property, it creates the perfect environment for mould growth. Mould spores thrive in warm, humid and dark conditions and it only takes one mould spore to trigger an allergic reaction. This can include coughing, sneezing, itchy eyes or skin, rashes and asthma attacks. According to the NHS, long term exposure to mould spores can also cause a weakened immune system and lead to chronic health issues such as sinusitis and bronchitis.
A specialist mould survey can identify the type of mould and the cause of the fungal growth in your property, and then provide the correct course of action to get rid of it. The survey can include sampling and testing of surfaces, fabrics and air to reveal the presence and type of mould. The expert can then provide appropriate remedial works to resolve the problem and prevent re-growth of mould. This includes the use of gas or fogging treatment to kill active mould spores in your home, or surface cleaning using specialist products that won’t damage paintwork and furniture. mould specialist london